Sunday, July 8, 2007

OK, first thing's first- I thought once I leave China my Blogspot issues will be over, but NNNOOO... I think the computers of the world are united against me. So that's why my last post looks the way it does, and why I cannot view other blogs (Doron, Alon, Erica, James etc.) as well as why there are no new photos (though I my camera is loaded) and why there is no title.
I have left Hanoi on Saturday and after what appeared to be a life time, though it was only 13 hours, I got here. On the way the driver stopped for fuel- then couldn't restart the engine and like 10 passengers had to push the bus to help him start. It really was funny.
Hue is a small town, located about 110 Km from the DMZ. They also have that annoying habit to hover around you with "you want hotel?" "you want food?"- but at least here they did realize I am female. so I guess that's a good development. I arrived at 8:00, obviously crashed for a few hours and then just wandered around, and today I went to the DMZ. The DMZ (DeMiliterzied Zone) is the 10KM strip that separated North Vietnam and South Vietnam until the war ended. It crosses the country from west to east- From the South China sea to the Lao border, and during the Vietnam war there were American forces located there.
I saw the famous Hi Chi Minh trail, which was heavily bombed during the war, and also the Vinh Moc tunnels- 3 levels of tunnels, hidden in the mountain by the coast, where Vietnamese villagers hid during the heavy bombing on their villages.  It's quite amazing- they have "family rooms"- holes on the main trail of the tunnel, tiny hole for 3-5 people. They also had a maternity room, where 17 babies were born in the time period of 6 years. There is also a crater in the forrest, which was created with the great help of a B52 bomb.
I think what made it most interesting for me was the fact that amongst the group there was a Vietnamese man who was a helicopter pilot during the war, it southern Vietnam. He later immigrated to the states and that was his first trip back there with his family- was very interesting.
Later I went to see the Dahkron bridge and the combat camp- they have American helicopters and a museum- some Vietnamese guy tried to sell me an American dog tag- how low can you go?
As said, I've get many photos, I am just waiting until the hostile electronic device forces will seas fire.
Tomorrow I am hopping back on the bus and heading toward Hoi An- also knows as the tailor town- there are more than 200 of them and you can get clothes especially made for ridiculous prices. Now that's going to be fun....
So this is it. Nothing witty or sarcastic this time. Sorry...

No comments: