Thursday, July 5, 2007

Hanoi- or "Hey mister, you want motorcycle"?

Yep, apparently I look like a man, or so the Vietnamese motor cycle riders thinks.
So yesterday and today I have appeared to be in every freakin museum in Hanoi- and there are quite a few, must I say. I went to the women's museum, which I am sure in nice, only it was renovated so only two exhibitions were opened, and then to the Hoa Lou prison- also known as "Hilton Hanoi". It was actually rather interesting to see- they have lots of stuff from the French period and from the American one- when the prison was used to imprison American pilots whose planes got knocked down by the Vietnamese.
Today I went to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum- unbelievable security - they made me turn in my bag, as well as electronic devices- apparently the noise disturb Ho Chi Minh... just kidding. Actually I thought the entire concept was rather creepy but I have to say that it was impressive- though I read Ho Chi Minh himself asked to be cremated. And when you pass by, there are 4 guards making sure you are quiet, and of course- that he won't run away:-)
the Museum near by was weird. Wasn't entirely sure what the message was, but I found the exhibits quite interesting. To complete the the experience I later visited the Army museum. I must say that they have given it quite a lot of thought, locating the national flag tower right next to an exhibition of of Air crafts taken down from by Vietnam from the French and American periods.
Other than that I decided to skip Halong Bay and Sapa and tomorrow night I will be heading toward Hoa- on the open bus. Hopefully I will upload photos shortly..or not.

No comments: