Friday, October 24, 2008

Thekkady- Masa Alukot

So, it's been a few days. We have been to quite a few places, and now we are in Munnar- our last stop before Kochin. The road was rather steep and incredible. Tea plantations, trees, mountains, lakes- gorgeous.
Today's amusing story: yesterday we were in Thekkady- a very toured area. We decided to go on an organized trip which included a jeep safari, a hike and boating. We got up at 5:00 am (ugh) and left. The safari part was OK- no animals though- they promised elephants, cows, tigers.... it was showering rain.
We had breakfast in a pavilion in which some guy gave us a lecture about the area. Jees, the mans accent was totally unfamiliar to the human ear, and I couldn't stop giggling. He spotted that and lectured me (!!) which of course made me giggle even more. In the showering rain we left for our 3 hours hike. The good news- we saw animals. The bad news- they were leaches! Millions of them! We weren't quite prepared for that, so basically every ten seconds we had to stop for salt pouring and tried poking them with a stick. It was actually quite hilarious. The best part was when all of a sudden Nili started screaming and jumping around- she had a leach leaching its way on her hand. Being the good sister I am, I started smirking and moved to laughing my ass off seeing how funny the situation was. Eventually the leach was off and I paid my due- after peeling my rain sleeves, socks and shoes I realized one very brave leach nibbled on my leg. Oh well, who needs blood anyway?
On another note, we also visited an ashram a few days ago. Being an amazingly cynical person, I wasn't all that impressed, but we are thinking of sending my dad there for a while.
As mentioned we are now in Munar and are leaving tomorrow for Kochin- the cream on the top of our trip.
Shabbat shalom!

No comments: