Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And yet- another post

In case you were wondering how come I post so often- it is pouring outside so I am in the hostel waiting for it to calm down.
Two funny incidents- yesterday as I entered the dorm room 2 Israeli girls were talking. One was looking for a band aid so I offered her one. She stared at me and said: "That's wrong, you don't look Israeli, you look American or Indian or something". I told her how accurate she was, and it was funny. The second thing actually happened in Zhongdian- I was sitting in a coffee shop when I hear 2 Israeli girls talking- Israeli1:"I think she's from Israel" IL2:"She doesn't look Israeli" IL1:"Yeah, but she has Shoresh sandals" and they kept going on and on when I realized they were talking about me so I said:"Paam habaha sheaten medabrot al mishehu, tishtadlu shehu lo yavin. Aniti lachen al hasheela?" They were embarrassed, but I thought it was funny.
Today I decided to go to the forbidden city- it's like 30 minutes away (walking), with crappy weather. It is huge, one can spend like 2 whole days in there. I kind of got the hang of it after 2 hours and went back. At some point I noticed a bunch of Americans waiting in a perfect line- when I got close I realized they were waiting for the STARBUCKS. How low can you go?! It's China, the forbidden city and they have a freakin Starbucks there?! Of course I bought a Frappaccino, took 2 sips and realized I don't even like coffee... but the whole concept was weird. By the way, tourist refer to it as the forbidden Starbucks. Love it!
I also learned today that part of the preparation to the Olympic games is to ban spitting and teach Chinese people how to stand in line- they are like Israelis when it comes to that. The way they teach it, get this- they make them stand in a line for 2 hours, and that's it. The line doesn't go anywhere, they just stand. Weird.
Anyway , I finally got a ticket to Hanoi for Tuesday- July 3rd- the last day I am allowed to be in China. So this is it. And now- new photos are UP at the China gallery. Enjoy...

No comments: